There's a meme going round - Joseph has done it, I just managed a post - and - well - tagged YOU! Us, Whatever. Basically, the idea is this: name 12 films you 1) have not seen; 2) are not available through Netflix.
A list of participants, so far, can be found here.
Anyway - my post is rather long and inefficient - here is the condensed version: 12 films.... heavy on the Japanophilia, but that shouldn't surprise anyone...
1. Anything (besides Yi Yi and Mahjong) by Edward Yang - soon to be rectified.
2. Humanity and Paper Balloons, by Sadao Yamanaka.
3. Chikamatsu Monogatari - Mizoguchi.
4. Ishtar - Elaine May. (Yes, it's listed on Netflix; no, it's not "available" on Netflix.)
5. Out One: Noli me Tangere - Rivette - the 13 hour version.
6. La Cicatrice Interieure - Philippe Garrel.
7. Keep cool - Zhang Yimou.
8. Timeless Bottomless Bad Movie - Jang Sun-woo
9. Bigger than Life - Nicholas Ray. (I'm not alone.)
10. Histoires du Cinema - Godard. (This either... but I've been hearing about these films forever. Where are they?)
11. Fantomas - Louis Feuillade. Thanks to David Bordwell.
12. Souls on the Road or the Red Bat - a very early Japanese film, and a well known Chambara.... blame Noel Burch.
And - anyone interested - hop in! create your own post, add to this one, put it in comments, here or at The Listening Ear.